What is Eco Schools?
Eco Schools is much more than an environmental management system for schools. It is a programme for promoting environmental awareness in a way that links to many curriculum subjects, including citizenship, personal, social and health education (PSHE) and education for sustainable development. It is also an award scheme that will raise the profile of schools in the wider community.
The Eco Schools process is holistic. It works by involving the whole school (pupils, teachers, non-teaching staff and governors) together with members of the local community (parents, the local authority, the media and local businesses). It encourages teamwork and helps to create a shared understanding of what it takes to run a school in a way that respects and enhances the environment.
The Eco Schools scheme offers schools:
- an opportunity to make environmental issues a part of the life of the school
- an opportunity to help develop young people's decision-making skills
- curriculum materials and ideas for projects and events
- access to a network of support agencies
- links with other schools in the UK and Europe
- a prestigious award
- opportunities for local and national publicity
- potential for financial savings
- the support of the headteacher and governors
- a willingness to involve pupils in decision-making and action at every stage
- active involvement of staff and the wider school community
- a willingness to take action to instigate long-term change.
For more information please visit www.eco-schools.org.uk